Trailering Your Horse During Summer
The inside of a horse trailer can easily reach 20 degrees warmer inside in comparison to the ambient temperature outside. As you travel this summer, be sure to take precautions to ensure your horses stay cool on the road. Here are some tips to keep your horse comfortable during summer travel:
- Open trailer windows if possible, and trailer vents.
- Aim to travel during the coolest portions of the day.
- Refrain from the use of sheets on your horse in the trailer during travel to allow air movement in, and around the skin.
- Skip the heavy quilted bandages on legs and opt for lighter weight shipping boots instead.
- If you must stop en route, try to find a shady spot and offer the horses water before beginning travels again.
- Once you reach your destination, offer more water.